2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
3 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
½ cup vegan butter or margarine (room temperature)
¼ cup unsulphured molasses
¼ cup non-dairy milk
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
⅓ cup all-purpose flour (for rolling out the dough)
2 ¼ cups powdered sugar
3 Tbsp warm water
1. Sift 2 cups of all-purpose flour with baking soda and spices into a large mixing bowl. Stir with a fork to combine.
2. In a separate mixing bowl cream the vegan butter and brown sugar with a hand mixer until fluffy. Then add in molasses and non-dairy milk and beat with a hand mixer until well combined.
3. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon or your hands.
4. Form the dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
5. Remove the dough from the fridge and plastic wrap.
6. Have 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour standing by in a bowl. Flour your rolling surface and rolling pin well and roll out the dough until it’s approx. 1/8”-1/4” thick.
7. Start cutting out your snowflakes or desired cookie shape.
8. Lift the cut-out cookies from the counter with a lightly floured spatula/lifter and place on parchment lined baking sheets.
9. Continue to flour your rolling surface and rolling pin, roll out the excess dough, and cut out more cookies until there’s none left.
10. Bake the cookies for 6-8 mins in an oven preheated to 350ºF.
11. Allow cookies to cook completely before icing them.
1. Sift powdered sugar into a mixing bowl.
2. Using a hand mixer beat in the warm water until well combined.
3. This will be your piping icing. Transfer it to a piping bag or squeeze bottle and decorate as desired. You can also split this amount of icing up if you want to mix one with a few drops of food colouring.
4. You can pipe icing as the outline to your cookies and then “flood” the cookies with the icing by adding 1 tbsp more of warm water and mixing well.
5. Allow the frosting to dry before placing in cookie tins or containers.